A Selection of Writings on Dialectical Materialism by Marx, Engels, Lenin, Trotsky, Plekhanov, and Luxemburg, and Alan Woods. Edited by John Peterson with an Introduction by Alan Woods.
On the bicentennial of his birth, Karl Marx’s ideas are more relevant than ever. While he is perhaps best known for his writings on economics and history, anyone who wishes to have a fully rounded understanding of his method must strive to master dialectical materialism, which itself resulted from an assiduous study and critique of Hegel.
Dialectical materialism is the logic of motion, development, and change. By embracing contradiction instead of trying to write it out of reality, dialectics allows Marxists to approach processes as they really are, not as we would like them to be. In this way we can understand and explain the essential class interests at stake in our fight against capitalist exploitation and oppression.
At every decisive turning point in history, scientific socialists must go back to basics. Marxist theory represents the synthesized experience, historical memory, and guide to action of the working class. The Revolutionary Philosophy of Marxism aims to arm the new generation of revolutionary socialists with these essential ideas.
The book contains:
- Theses on Feuerbach by Karl Marx
- Marx’s Revolution in Philosophy by Alan Woods
- Three Sources and Three Component Parts of Marxism by V.I. Lenin
- Ludwig Feuerbach and the End of German Classical Philosophy by Friedrich Engels
- The Fundamantal Problems of Marxism [Extract] by Georgi Plekhanov
- Anti-Duhring [Extract] by Friedrich Engels
- Dialectics of Nature [Extract] by Friedrich Engels
- Critique of Hegel’s Dialectic and Philosophy as a Whole by Karl Marx
- Philosophical Notebooks [Extract] by V.I. Lenin
- Philosophical Notebooks [Extract] by Leon Trotsky
- England and Materialist Philosophy by Karl Marx
- The German Ideology [Extract] by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
- Materialism and Empirocriticism [Extract] by V.I. Lenin
- Reform or Revolution [Extract] by Rosa Luxemburg
- History of the Russian Revolution to Brest-Litovsk [Extract] by Leon Trotsky
- In Defence of Marxism [Extract] by Leon Trotsky
- The Class, the Party and the Leadership by Leon Trotsky
- Dialectical Materialism and Science by Leon Trotsky
- Radio, Science, Technique and Society by Leon Trotsky